Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Chinese Hippie.

My BF calls me a Chinese hippie. Just because I blend vegetable oils, essential oils, hydrosols, herbal distallates, salts and waxes into my own lip balms, perfumes, creams, body scrubs, bath oils and household cleaners doesn't make me a hippie, does it?

Maybe.

I stopped using soy sauce in my cooking and switched it out for Bragg liquid aminos. Speaking of Bragg, I also stir a tablespoon full of their organic raw apple cider vinegar into my daily morning 8 oz glass of iced water.
My preferred yogurt brand Saint Benoit comes in a jar. When emptied, I bring the jar back to the farmer's market stand/local health food store for a brand new jar of yogurt. Are these things considered crunchy and hippie?

Quite probably.

How did this all begin? A few months ago, I suddenly had an epiphany and realized that I was slathering my entire body with things chock-full of chemicals bearing names that I could barely pronounce. Worse yet, I was breathing in and consuming said chemicals, too.
That day, I made a commitment to myself to try to stop abusing my body this way. This resulted in an overabundance of store bought bath, beauty and body products that are sitting in a crate in my bathroom, many unopened. :( I'm still not quite sure of what exactly I'm going to do with all that stuff, although BF did say he'll take all my lotions off my hands. Once those are done, any guesses about what he will be using instead? That's right, my homemade stuff. :)

Being imperfect, there are things that I don't think I can give up. I don't know that I will ever be able to give up L'Oreal Elnett hairspray. I haven't been able to find a natural or homemade equivalent, yet. My hair is not naturally full of body, so I depend on it to hold up my curls, teasing and donut buns! I also depend on dry shampoo. I currently use Pssst and Batiste, but I am planning to make my own blend with cornstarch and essential oils very soon.

Wishing You a Wealth of Health,
VV

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are back in the blogging world! You are totally granola and crunchy but in a super adorable and cute way. I love it! Heehee
    Btw - what is Bragg liquid aminos? Does it taste like soy sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks! You are so sweet :D

    Bragg liquid aminos is a liquid protein concentrate that tastes like soy sauce, but a bit less salty/umami. While I don't drink soy milk anymore, I do use the liquid aminos which are made from certified non-GMO soybeans. (Ok, that sounded super crunchy, even to me! LOL)

    ReplyDelete